Skip to main content

The Late Essays of J. M. Coetzee

 

I'm always on the lookout for something readable. I don't read that much fiction, probably because I always question why a writer wrote a passage or a sentence this or that way or question the plot. So I read more nonfiction, mostly from magazines such as The Atlantic and The New Yorker. I always enjoy the true crime pieces, and often the personal history pieces as well in The New Yorker. The Atlantic also has personal history pieces that are very good, but it tends to be more political. One recent personal history piece from the ghostwriter who wrote Price Harry's memoir, Spare, was exceptionally good.

I came across the essays of J.M. Coetzee, a Nobel laureate, and after reading a sample on my Kindle decided to buy the book. It didn't disappoint. The essays, analyses of various writers, their lives, how their lives affected their work, the analyses of their work, are informative, entertaining, and might be helpful to anyone who writes fiction. The essays start off with one about Defoe, then one about Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. There's also one about Philip Roth's work. There are several essays on Samuel Beckett, and I could have done with one. But what I learned from this essay is that the “no word” can be as powerful as “the word.” Silence is powerful, but how does a fiction writer achieve this: putting few words on the page? I don't know. But it's something to consider.

The only other essayist I can think of whose writing is so approachable and entertaining, while at the same time instructing, is George Orwell, who wrote many book reviews and reviews of writers. His essay on Charles Dickens is masterful.

But if anyone is looking for some essays that are enjoyable to read and instructive, they might consider J. M. Coetzee's Late Essays. It would've been nice if he had included more women writers, but, well, he didn't. Nor did he include William Faulkner, though he alludes to him in other essays. But so what? A good read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Contrast's 200th Edition. Story: "Don't Cause Trouble."

New Contrast's 200 th   edition , which has a story of mine, "Don't Cause Trouble," about a retired Navy/airline pilot who goes on safari in Zimbabwe and finds a new, more meaningful life there is now out. Digital edition only 50 rand. As Alfred E. Newmans says in  Mad Magazine --"Cheap!" About $2.75. New Contrast is South Africa's oldest literary magazine and has published Nobel laureates, which is pretty good company to be in, I suppose. Also, I recommend that those who are fed up with the political orthodoxy of modern publishing subscribe to  The Heresy Press , which is a reaction to the madness in publishing in the U.S. today, things like only Native Americans can write about topics that are Native American; no people of a race different from the writer's; nothing that might offend a group, racial or religious. (I think there are readers, and viewers, who can make up their own minds about what they like. "Breaking Bad," A Clockwo

Return to Zimbabwe

It's been a long time since I made an entry. A lot has happened. My wife and I returned to Zimbabwe, where we are going to stay for a while before going to the U.S. I like Zimbabwe. In spite of what is reported about the country, the inflation, failing infrastructure, and poverty, the country is a wonderful place and the news media doesn't get it right about Zimbabwe. It's easy to report the negative but not the positive, which are the beauty of the country, the climate (neither heat nor AC is necessary, because of the elevation and proximity to the equator), the people (very friendly (English is the national language), and lack of violent crime, the use of the U.S. dollar, the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables, the general peacefulness. Across the street from where we are staying there is a very posh restaurant,  Victoria Twenty-Two , which is maybe better than the St. Regis in Amman. Glad we're not in Amman, considering what is going on in Gaza. Down t

The Opium Addict. Chapter One.

The first chapter of The Opium Addict was posted on CommuterLit.com , which I'm fairly happy about. It's nice when a complete stranger reads something I've written and likes it. I don't know when the novel will come out, though. The proofs are done. To be perfectly frank about this, once I've written something, I feel that I'm done with it. As I stated in an earlier post, there is writing and then there is publishing and the intersection between the two is slight.